There’s always more moolah to it when you can pack in the same amounts for lesser money. Yes, this piece is about low-cost (and predictably low-maintenance) electric shavers – under $50 to be precise. Understandably, you will be missing out on some features in the bargain. But the meaty question is – do you get the job efficiently? And do the cons snowball into ineffectiveness? We look at these two different aspects of investing in low cost electric shavers. We also look at the top five picks in affordable electric shavers.
Straight recommendation: Remington F5-5800
Top 5 Comparison chart
|Image||Name & Brand||Shaver Types||Charge & Run time||Quick Charge||Wet & dry||Display|
|Philips Norelco S1560/81||Rotary||8hr, 35 min||3 min||Yes||Led|
|Remington F5-5800 Shaver||Foil||2hr, 60 min||5 min||Yes||Led|
|Philips Norelco S3310/81||Rotary||8hr, 45 min||No||Yes||Led|
|Panasonic ES-RT51-S Arc3||Foil||1hr, 45 min||No||Yes||Lcd (5stage)|
|Philips Norelco PT724/41||Rotary||8hr, 40 min||3 min||Wet||No|
Top 5 under 50 electric shaver reviews
The Noreclco shaver 2100 from Philips is among the most conveniently priced electric shavers we reviewed. Pitted against other electric shavers in the class, the 2100 has the features to kill. The blades are durable and self-sharpening and are arranged with the close-blade sharpening system to cut closer to your skin. The head can flex in all 4 directions to make sure you get just the traction you need, in every direction you need. This feature also allows the blades to shave very closely to the contours of the neck and the face.
The Lithium-ion battery offers maximum and consistent power for years of use. It is the convenience and ease of shaving with the Norelco 2100 that impresses us the most. Compare it to any other entry level electric shaver and you will know of the difference we are speaking about. Moreover, you can open up the shaver with just one touch and clean it straight under the tap.
- Best in-class features.
- Flex head moves in four directions.
- Li-ion battery powered.
- Easy cleaning under the tap.
- Flex head moves in four different directions.
- Comes with a close cut system of blades.
- Needs more passes on the difficult areas.
- Not for very long beard.
- Can be a little louder than necessary.
While most foil shavers are all about comfort and durability, the F5-5800 from Remington is a little more. As an entry-level electric shaver it offers you the choice between cordless and corded use.You get both convenience and flexibility with a 5-minute quick charge for that one quick shave. It runs for about 60 minutes on a single full charge. That is about 20 days on use on the trot. Just do not misplace the charger in the lapse!
The good thing about theF5-5800 is it is washable. It washes and cleans very easily under the faucet. The Pivot and Flex technology incorporated in the shaver makes the shaver stay up close to the chin when you are rolling it down that area. This applies to the neck and the jawline as well. The intercept technology of shaving makes trimmer longer beard easy. It sits between sets of foils, catches long hairs and feeds them to the cutting mechanism.
- Can be used with or without the cord.
- Runs for 60 minutes on a full charge.
- Can be washed easily.
- Comes with flex and pivot mechanism.
- Intercept technology of shaving.
- Noisier than most other razors.
- Not for coarse hair types.
- Misses minute patches (Adam’s apple).
- May cut lips.
The Norelco 3100 Shaver from Philips is among the very few shavers that are both easy and comfortable and come at a low budget. Comfort, affordability and closeness of shaves seem to be top of the list for the Shaver 3100. The shaver has a custom comfort-cut blade system where the rounded edges of the blade move very swiftly over the skin to give protective shaves. The flex head of the shaver moves in 4 different directions and gives you the extra traction to cut neatly on all areas.
There is thorough clinging on to every curve of the neck and the face. The lithium-ion power of the battery makes sure you get consistent shaves from the shaver year on year. Along with that, it opens up with just a touch. You can easily have it cleaned under the tap. The winner, according to our tests, is the 4-direction flex head of the shaver. It simply adjusts to the contours of your face automatically without requiring any major effort.
- Comes with the comfort-cut blade system.
- Has a flex head which moves in 4 directions.
- Comes with a li-ion battery.
- LED display and protection cap.
- Complete washable under faucet.
- Slightly underpowered beard trimmer.
- Not as smooth as manual razors.
- Cheaper build quality.
- Low on power.
The only Panasonic on our list, the ES-RT51-S supports both dry and wet operations and makes sure you get the best of shaves in both the states. The shaver is equipped with 3 ultra-thin nanotech precision blades. These blades help in smooth and fast shaving and provide get wet and dry convenience of shaving. The hypo-allergenic foil shaver is completely made up of stainless steel. Now, stainless steel for this price range is some serious good work by Panasonic.
The high power of the ES-RT51-S makes sure you have all he power needed to make shaves powerful and even across the face, jaws, chin and neck . You also have the added advantage of shaving wet or dry with the ES-RT51-S. It is 100% waterproof and it can tackle both wet and dry shaves equally easily. You also get an AC shaver adapter included with the kit. There is also a cleaning brush and a travel pouch for quick cleaning on the spot.
- 30° nanotech blades.
- Close and comfortable shaves.
- Shaves effortless on chin, jaws and neck.
- Comes with a pop-up trimmer.
- 100% waterproof.
- Some maintenance costs apply.
- Not the best for women.
- Very complicated naming.
# Philips Norelco PT724/41 Shaver 3100(Packaging May Vary)
The good thing about this Philips Norelco is that they have replaced the name with Shaver 3100 and you do not need a [notebook for it anymore. However, they will keep rolling out the old stocks till hey last. So you may receive it in either the old or the new packaging. The blades of the ComfortCut heads have edges that have been rounded. The smoothly glide on the skin and on the face giving you 66% more comfort than wheat you already have.
The Flex and Float system of the shaver manages to catch more hair by lifting the hair before cutting them off. This way you can shave more hair with every pass. There is an integrated pop-up trimmer that is meant to do good with the sideburns and mustaches. The battery performance of the shaver will also impress you. One 8-hour long charge can easily suffice 40 minutes (roughly two weeks) of use. On the whole, we though the Shaver 3100 was an amazing shaver.
- Renewed name and packaging.
- Comes with ComfortCut heads.
- Flex and Flow system.
- Comes with an integrated pop-up trimmer.
- Good for both short and long hair.
- Inferior to other Norelco models.
- Shaves could have been closer.
- Standard durability issues may persist.
Misses and gains of low-cost shavers
There’s bound to some misses if you are buying a low-end product. But you should not mind them as long as the device is willing to cover the basics for you. Let’s first start with the misses:
- High frequency cuts per minute: When you are in a Series 9 Braun or a high-end Norelco, you have a beeline of features rushing at you. One of these is the number of cuts in a minute. This ranks quite high for the expensive foil shavers. Sadly, you will be missing out on this for $50 shavers.
- Ultras-sharp blades: This is a no-brainer. You do not get very sharp blades when investing in something that’s just entry-level. However, what you need to ask yourself is the impact that ultra-sharp blades create anyway. In most of our tests, we found it was extremely limited. So, go ahead with the low-entry for a start.
- Build quality: The build quality is a genuine issue with low-end electric shavers. Most $50 electric shavers will not sport the build quality of a high-end Remington. But you should also look to make sure it is not so bad that it will hurt your chances of a better shave. It should anyway last you for a year at least.
- Availability of heads: This could be rather disappointing if you do not get spare parts available readily. But that is essentially the deal here – you invest in a low-cost product and you wear out its lifetime. When that is done, you could either upgrade to a shaver with replaceableheads or buy another low-end shaver.
Now the hits:
- Get the job done: It is all about getting a clean shave every morning. The number of features in the shaver that help you do it is inconsequential. In our experience, there are several $50 electric shavers that mean business; serious business.
- One shave every day:The really good thing about a low-cost electric shaver is getting at pace with the job of shaving yourself every day.That’s precisely what’s on offer.
- Closeness guaranteed with electric power:Electric shaving always gives you more power with shaves, every time you are willing to shave. And powerful shaves always mean more closeness to the shaves themselves. That is what we are looking at here.
- Time saved means money saved:Most electric shavers (including low-cost ones) take just 3 minutes out of your morning routine to create perfect shaves every day. This is where there is immense benefit in investing money in low-cost options I electric shaving.
- The offers, of course:There are plenty of offers available online. When you are looking for good shavers at a sliced pricing, you are actually looking for these offers. This is also the singular biggest gain you take home from the process. Find the offers and congratulate yourself.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Question)
- $50: enough for a good, working electric razor?
Of course, $50 is no bummer of a price. You should expect some of the best entry-level electric shavers at this price. In fact, when you throw in the existing online offers on electric shavers in the mix, expect some healthy surprises. There will be a lot to cheer for if you can get the right mix in the deal. Make sure you do not pick up just anything for a $50 shaver. There could be a few changes to that story too!
- How about a low-cost electric shaver for sensitive skin?
Again, tricky but totally possible option! You need to be slightly careful about what you are dealing with here. When you are looking to make a decent purchase for sensitive skin, most times you will have to spend a decent chunk of money on it. However, there’s nothing like it if you get to grab that same shaver for a cracker of a deal online. Ask if we know about a good few of these offers.
- What becomes of a $50 electric shaver for women?
A lot of merry, if you sing the right hymns while buying. Make sure you do not go for a shaver custom made for men. A unisex shaver should be a good start in our opinion. Also, look for crack-deals that apply on regular women shavers when shopping online. This alone gives you a lot of traction when looking for the right mix in a shaver. Believe us, a women’s shaver for under $50 is a reality.
- How far does a $50 shaver run with waterproofing?
It is always welcome if you get waterproofing with the shaver. That enhances chances of wet and dry shaving and makes cleaning the shaver a breezy affair. You also get a little more by way of creating opportunities for yourself. But does it happen for $50? It does not typically apply, but there’s always some hope if you are investing more time in the search.Some off-brands also make waterproof shavers for $50.
Let’s make a call then
The Norelco shaver 2100 has a lot of positives going for it, if you ask us. Each feature it offers is the best in class. The flex head of the shaver is capable of moving in all four directions, making shaves closer than ever. The li-ion powered battery is another great plus for the shaver, giving it battery life of up to 60 minutes on a single charge. Above all, you can simply clean it by opening the head and placing the device under the tap.
A good entry-level electric shaver does not need to be skimpy on features and performance. You can get those perfectly timed, close shaves if you are able to find that right balance.