We all desire to make our hairs thicker for a lot of reasons. Overtime, it has been proven that the hair adds a great deal to the overall look of a man. People view healthy-looking hair as a sign of beauty and good living. The hair makes it possible to change our looks as the occasion may require. We often need to have thicker hairs to be able to change styles frequently.
Unfortunately, not everyone has been lucky to be able to grow thick hairs. For some people, the hair seems to naturally grow thin and scanty. This can be more observed in older men.
Even though the thickness of the hair is largely determined by genetics, there are steps that can improve the thickness. These actions put your hair in the appropriate conditions that would encourage faster hair growth. If you are able to follow this steps routinely, it becomes easier for the hair to get thicker.
In this article, you would discover the things you could do to get thicker hairs. This would include the right diet and the activities to take. I would also recommend the proper ways to go about the regular hair grooming processes. All these tips would help you get thicker hairs eventually.
Table of Contents
What Is Responsible For Having Thin Hairs?
There could be various reasons for the thinness of the hair. The major factor is usually genetics. However, stress could even be the reason for the thinness of your hair.
If your hair looks thin with a lot of spaces, do not assume that it is genetic. Some of the factors that sometimes make the hair thin are;
- Hormonal imbalance
- Seasonal changes and climate
- Trauma and anxiety
- Frequent exposure to sun
The process of growing thicker hairs requires consistent care and patience. This is because the hair is quite delicate and requires special care.
The use of hair products and natural treatment methods can help to improve hair thickness. However, you can also grow thicker hairs by making lifestyle changes that are good for hair growth.
Make Your Hair Thicker By Following These Steps
The following are the recommendations I suggest to grow thicker hairs;
- Proper nutrition
- Use of the right hair care products
- Lifestyle changes
- Use of hair supplements
- The use of essential oils
Your regular diet is an important factor in the general health of your hair. Your nutritional status shows in the quantity and quality of your hair. The hair is naturally made up of proteins. This makes it necessary to eat food with high protein content. A healthy diet is needed to help your hair stay strong and shinny.
Poor nutrition can result in hair loss, hair breakage and reduced hair density. Some foods naturally make the hair grow faster. I recommend that you add a couple of the following foods to your diet to get thicker hairs;
- Fish and sea foods- salmon , mackerel, tuna , herrings , oysters , shrimp and sardines
- Nut and seeds -walnut , flaxseed
- Plant oil-soya beans oil, olive oil, coconut oil and canola oil
- Eggs: they are great source of protein and biotin which are needed for proper hair growth and thickness. Eggs boost collagen production in your hair and this is required for the overall thickness of your hair. Eggs are also a source of vitamins required for proper hair growth and thickness.
- Fruits like avocado, mango, berries, orange, apples, banana, pineapple and grapes are great sources of the required vitamins needed for hair growth and thickness. These fruits contain essential minerals and vitamins which are required to achieve hair growth.
- Beans, soybeans, meat are good sources of minerals like zinc and iron. These minerals are essential in proper hair growth which can make your hair thicker.
- Water can also help you reduce hair loss and breakage. You can give your hair a firmer appearance by drinking a good quantity of water each day.
Use Of The Right Hair Care Products
To achieve proper hair growth and thickness, hair care products like shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers are needed. You need to avoid the use of harsh chemicals on your hair as they can cause damage to your hair.
I recommend that you use products that have less chemicals and more natural extracts. Natural extracts to look out for are peppermint, aloe vera, almonds, argan oil and caffeine. It has been proven that natural extracts improve the health of the scalp.
The use of moisturizers helps to keep your hair hydrated and reduce breakage. Regular scalp massage using your fingers is also useful in growing thicker hair. This is because it helps to improve blood circulation in the scalp. The use of these products should be in a weekly routine and not frequently, as too much use can result in hair damage.
Your daily routine determines how much growth would occur in your hair. If you groom your hair frequently, it is more likely to become thicker. Hair grooming activities ranging from hair washing, hair drying and hair brushing are needed for proper hair growth. You also need to get some sleep and exercise more.
These activities affect your hair growth and thickness in different ways. Here is how these activities can affect the thickness of your hair;
- Hair washing: hair washing is good but washing your hair every day with shampoo affects your hair health. Daily washing prevents the scalp from producing natural oils which nourishes your hair. Also, avoid the use of hot water as this can result to hair brittleness and hair breakage. Hair washing is preferably done using cold water.
- Hair drying: this is best carried out naturally. To dry your hair, I suggest that you use a towel to tap your hair gently and allow it to dry up naturally without touching it. You can also expose your hair to the sun or fan for sometime if you want your hair to dry faster without using a hair dryer.
- Hair brushing: I suggest that you should not comb your hair when it is wet. This because the hair is much weaker when wet. You should also avoid the use of plastic and metal brushes with crowded teeth as they can cause hair breakage if used. Use a wide-toothed comb and comb gently. Do not comb your hair too frequently. I suggest that you comb at least twice a day.
- Sleep: getting adequate sleep is necessary for the general wellbeing of your body. At least getting seven to eight hours of sleep is needed for the proper functioning of your body. Adequate sleep is required for proper blood flow to the scalp which encourages hair growth. Sleep also helps in the absorption of nutrients and hormones that would help your hair grow. The failure to get enough sleep can cause hair loss. Emotional stress and anxiety can also cause hair loss.
- Exercise: regular exercise contributes to hair growth. It has a general positive effect on the overall function of your body. Regular exercise increase blood circulation to the scalp which makes the hair follicles grow. However, too much exercise is not good as it can result in too much sweat on your head which results in hair damage. It can also cause stress which leads to hair shedding. Extreme exercise should therefore be avoided. Exercise should be done moderately.
- Quit smoking: it has been discovered that smoking is associated with hair loss. The substances released from cigarettes affect the growth of your hair and cause damage to your hair follicles.They reduce blood flow to your scalp which decrease the supply of nutrients needed for proper hair growth.
Use Of Supplements
Supplements are important to grow thicker hair. Supplements are helpful when you fail to obtain the needed vitamins from diet. They contain required vitamins and minerals needed for proper hair growth and thickening in adequate quantity.
Supplements can be taken in form of multivitamin drugs or tablets. Supplements serve different function in hair growth, thickening and regeneration. These are some compounds found in supplements and how they affect hair thickness;
- Vitamin H which is also known as biotin. It is known as the hair growth vitamin. It is a major component in hair supplements. It makes your hair thicker, increase your hair length and improve its health and texture.
- Vitamin B5 gives the hair strength and firmness
- Vitamin B12 helps to prevent excessive hair loss
- Vitamin B3 nourishes and rehydrate the scalp and helps hair follicles to produce stronger strands of hair.
- Vitamin A helps to produce natural oil which moisturizes the scalp and prevent the hair from drying out.
- Vitamin C helps for produce collagen which is an important protein for hair growth and thickness.
- Zinc helps to repair damaged hair. It also boosts hair growth.
- Iron is needed for the proper flow of blood to the scalp.
- Magnesium prevents hair loss.
- Vitamin E helps to increase blood circulation to the scalp and repair damaged hair follicles
- Folic acid stimulates natural hair growth and makes your hair thicker.
I recommend that you should only use supplements recommended by a dermatologist. These supplements can be dangerous to the body if their use is not controlled.
Use Of Essential Oils
Essential oils are plant extracts which help in general hair growth. They are also capable of adding strength and shine to the hair. When you apply essential oils to the hair, they increase the flow of blood to the area applied. In this way, they are able to make the hair grow faster and thicker.
Some of the essential oils to look out are;
- Lavender essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Cedar wood essential oil
- Lemmon grass essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
- Tea tree essential oil
The process of growing thicker hair is a journey. You should not expect dramatic changes all of a sudden. It requires consistent care and continuous use of your hair growth products. Sometimes, improvements are seen only after one month of dedication to hair care.
You may also try some natural homemade remedies that are low cost and low risk. However, if the thickness of your hair does not improve after following these steps, then I suggest you see a dermatologist.