Men are bound to shave for keeping their looks up to the mark. It is a must, and the perfect shave always starts with a good razor. With a lot of variations available in the market, you must put your hands on the right one.
Generally, there are 3 types of razors. They are:
- Safety razors
- Straight razors
- Electric razors
Today I am going to talk about safety and straight razors. Safety razors and straight razors are very popular shaving tools for the last few centuries. Especially the group of men who prefer to use traditional methods in terms of shaving finds them useful.
Both safety and straight razor have a lot of similarities and differences as well. Today, I am going to let you know everything about these two razors. This will help you choose the best razor that matches your personality.
Without wasting any time, let’s hop right in!
What is a Safety Razor?
A safety razor is a well-known shaving instrument. It is an affordable razor that makes the shaving experience more enjoyable. This practice was first seen in the year of 1880.
A safety razor has a protective shield placed at the top of the blade. The shield acts as a guard to protect your skin from blades. This prevents the risk of damaging your skin.
The safety razor is better for your skin and even better for your wallet. With that affordable price, you can’t just complain!
The personal shaving experience reduces the practice of visiting a barber and saves a lot of money. However, you have to replace blades after a certain period. Because after a couple of usages hair starts getting stuck inside the razor.
If you intend to save the planet from plastic waste, I suggest you grab one of these and let the world go green! Just stay with me for information that you’ve never known before.
How to Use a Safety Razor?
I have used a safety razor for a long time. I must say I used to enjoy the process. You must follow certain steps sequentially to complete the process of shaving with a safety razor.
I have broken the steps into certain points for you to understand how it works.
- Buy a good razor: A quality razor is what I prefer the most. First of all, buy a good razor that has a weighted handle. This does a pretty good job of applying pressure to your skin for a smooth shaving experience.
Below I have provided a list of some of the best safety razors available on the market:
- Feather All Stainless Steel Double-Edge Razor
- MERKUR Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor
- VIKINGS BLADE The Godfather Double Edge Safety Razor
- MERKUR Futur Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor
- VIKINGS BLADE The Emperor Adjustable Safety Razor
- Insert a blade: Now simply unscrew the head of the razor and put a new blade inside. You should always use clean new blades that are germ-free.
- Prepare your skin: Prepare your skin for the shave. Rinse your skin properly and apply shaving cream or gel that you prefer. You should use a brush to apply the shaving agent all over your face.
- Hold your face: Keep your skin as tight as you can. Hold the razor 30-40 degrees away from the skin. Always make sure to shave in the direction your hair grows. I would suggest you study your hair growth pattern for advanced shaving.
- Apply gentle strokes: While shaving, Use short and straight strokes. This makes the shaving precision right.
- Clean your chin and upper lip: Once you go for the chin, shave it sideways. That’s how it’s meant to do. Be careful at times of shaving your lip area. Next, go all the way down to the under-jaw and neck area where the hair is visible.
- Rinse your face: After the completion, rinse your face and apply a post-shave balm. It soothes your skin and keeps it clean.
You must take care of your razor for it to be in good condition in the long run. It’s a sign of being a gentleman. Let me help you with tips that you might find very useful for maintaining a safety razor.
- If you are using a safety razor in the shower, do not leave it over there. Eventually, it will catch rust. Keep it in a dry place.
- Once you have used the razor, make sure to dry it afterward. That’s a life-saving tip that will cost a few seconds of yours.
- If you care about the quality, make sure to store it in a dry place. I would suggest getting a stand to hold it. This will also keep it out of reach from the children.
- When it comes to Maintenance, I prefer using performance-enhancing oil for your razor. Some prefer using specialized oil and some might rub alcohol on the blades to sterilize. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference.
Who is it for?
The safety razor is for a person who wants a superior quality shave. It’s for someone who is looking for an easy shave. If you want a quality shave all on your own, this would be what you are looking for.
Last but not least, if you are cautious and want to lower your impact on the environment by disposing a single blade instead of whole plastics like the cartridge razors, then this is the best thing that you can grab.
Pros & Cons
If you ask me, I can tell a lot about the good sides of a safety razor. I have had great experiences with it. I can explain some of those for you to understand the benefits as well:
- Close shave: If you use a safety razor properly, you can meet great shaving experiences. You can achieve a close shave with the help of a safety razor.
- Less irritation: The sharp blade does a good job of cleaning your hair. You don’t need to drag a lot for a clean shave. The less you drag, the chances of you damaging your skin are lesser. A safety razor promises a healthier shave when done accurately.
- Better for your thick hair: Unlike the cartridge razor, a safety razor does a good job of shaving your thick hair. If you have thicker hair, it might be very difficult for you to clean it with a cartridge razor. You might even damage your skin through dragging and clogging in the process. A safety razor will never disappoint you with a dull shave. Just change the blades after a couple of executions.
- Cheap blades: The blades used for a safety razor are very cheap. If you buy in bulk, they are even cheaper. That means you will never hesitate to replace them once in a while. As a result, you are going to enjoy the cleanest shave every single time!
- You are the boss: A safety razor requires precision for better shaving experience. If you take your time in the process and study direction of your hair growth, you will be in charge of your look without the help of somebody else.
Nothing is perfect, nor the safety razors. I had a great shaving experience, though I would like to share some thoughts. The major con of a safety razor is that it requires you to improve your technique gradually to perform a great shave. They are different from cartridge razors. Besides, you have to buy blades in bulk for everyday usage. As long as you have a safety razor, the necessity of blade remains.
What is a Straight Razor?
A straight razor is a shaving instrument with a blade that you can fold into its handle. It is an old school shaving device. Take as a note that, your grandfather along with their grandparents used to shave with this instrument.
It’s often called “open razors” or “cut-throat” razors. The straight razor was first produced by craftsmen from Ancient Egypt.
Did you ever experience a shave from a straight razor? I can tell you it gives a very close shave leaving your skin extremely smooth.
A straight razor consists of two parts, the sharp-edged blade, and the handle.
One of the great things about a straight razor is, you won’t have to worry about changing your blades. A blade can last for a lifetime if used properly. Among all the shaving devices available in the market, a straight razor will cost the lowest in the long-term.
These days’ Straight razors have become more popular among modern men and traditionalists. People all around the globe are diverging towards this trend.
If you are a beginner, I bet you will find useful tips all about straight razor if you keep following my words carefully till the end.
How to Use a Straight Razor?
I guess some of you are not familiar with the working procedure of shaving with a straight razor. This part is where I will explain how to use them properly.
Hydrate your face:
Before you do a shave, wash your face with lukewarm water. It will hydrate your face and opens up the pores. This will make shaving much easier.
Rub a pre-shave oil to your face:
You should use a pre-shaving oil to soften your beards. This will speed up your shaving process.
Make a lather on your face:
Now take a brush and add shaving foam or gel whichever you prefer. Apply the product on your face and the part where you will be shaving.
Pick the best straight razor:
No matter how good you are at shaving, if you don’t have a great razor you won’t get that great shaving experience. You must buy the best instrument available on the market. I can suggest some brands and models that are best in the business.
- Feather SS Folding Handle Razor
- Feather Black SS Japanese Straight Razor
- Feather Artist Club DX Folding Wood Handle Razor
- A.P. Donovan Straight Razor Set
- Parker SRX Heavy Duty Professional Straight Edge Barber Razor
Hold the blade at 30-degree angle:
You should never put the blade flat against your skin. Instead, make an angle of 30 degrees by taking the razor up. The handle of the razor should stay closer to your nose.
Stretch and Shave:
Now stretch your skin with the opposite hand. Hold the razor and start with the top of your cheek. As your hair tends to grow downwards, shave in the same direction. Gradually, go towards your jaw and chin area. In the meantime, rinse your blade and continue where you left off. Follow the same procedure for both sides of your face.
Shave chin and upper lip:
Shave your chin sideways as that’s the easiest way. Apply gentle strokes and move forward. At times of your lip area, pull your lips tight and cut around. Go all the way down to the under-jaw and neck area.
Redo the shave:
Once you are done with the shaving, lather you face again and do the same action for the second time. The second time will lead you towards an advanced shaving, leaving no stone unturned.
Rinse with cold water:
Lastly, make sure to wash your face with cold water. Apply an aftershave to cut down the irritation. Pat your skin a couple of times.
That’s how you should use a straight razor for the best shaving experience.
If you wish to maintain your razor properly you must follow some criteria. I am going to explain in detail for you to know how it’s done.
Whenever you are using a straight razor, rinse it every time you stroke. Then dry it with a towel before using again. Most people often do it wrong. Do not wash the entire razor instead, wash the blade only.
Remember, if you clear it properly, it will serve a lifetime.
Put on some oil:
If you keep your blade in high humidity, make sure to put some oil on the blade. Otherwise, it will catch rust in long-term usage.
This is the most important step that many people don’t even know about. You have to sharpen your blade often to have that smooth shaving experience every time you use it.
Strop is a surface used to polish a blade after sharpening. Stropping allows you to bear the sharpness of the edges. It is mandatory to strop your blade before you shave. This is a great practice that comes with a pleasant experience.
These are the maintenance tips for you. If you follow these criteria, you will surely enhance the lifetime of your razor and keep it in good shape for a very long time.
Who is it for?
A straight razor is for a person who wants a superior shave. If you want a perfect shave all on your own through practices, a straight razor comes in handy. A straight razor is for the one who wants to have an old school shaving experience still in 2020.
Pros & Cons
A straight razor is an extraordinary shaving instrument if performed properly. The razor has tons of benefits. I can clearly state that because I have used it for a long time. Trust me, you will find a straight razor very useful in terms of shaving.
Let me explain how:
- Ensures close shave: The straight razor has the best results of cleaning your hair from the deepest level possible. You can unlock the ability to have the closest shave possible by a shaving device ever!
- Gives you the highest level of freedom: With continuous practice, you can meet the highest level of freedom in terms of shaving. You can do all you desired and much more with a straight razor, once you’ve mastered the technique of shaving.
- Well-made and sturdy: One of the great things about a straight razor is that it is exceptionally well made and sturdy. A good straight razor can look and feel classic in the hands of a gentleman.
- Good track of where the blade goes: Unlike the safety razor with a quality straight razor, you can easily track where the blade hits. As a result, with fewer strokes and less time you can get a closer shave.
- A blade that lasts a lifetime: If you ask me what is the best thing about a straight razor? I will straight talk about the lifetimes of the blades. The blade of a great straight razor can last for a lifetime if used and maintained with care. You might need to re-sharpen the blade every six or twelve months.
I can’t stop talking about the benefits of a straight razor. The device is a whole pack of uniqueness. Still, I noticed some minor facts that I would like to share. I just wanted to be honest with you. That’s what I do.
It would take a couple of practices to get a perfect shave with a straight razor. In the meantime, you might even end up cutting your face causing minor damages. A safety razor is more convenient in terms of safety.
Besides, the razor comes with one blade. If by any chance, you damage the blade, you will have to replace the entire unit.
Safety Razor vs. Straight Razor
After reading all about safety razor and straight razor, a question may arise in your mind. You might ask yourself which razor is the greatest one?
For years, this has been a topic of debate. If you ask me, you can’t just blindly say that one is better than the other. That would be quite unfair. At the end of the day, it will come down to your personal preferences. As an expert, I see many similarities and dissimilarities. If you go through the page, you will figure these things as well.
In terms of investment
Safety Razor needs a good amount of first investment. Whereas, straight razors are inexpensive. You can buy two of them at the price of a safety razor.
In terms of safety
The safety razor is safe for regular shaving. The safety bar will protect your skin every time you do a shave. On the contrary, straight razors aren’t advised for shaving regularly. They will always come in direct contact with your skin. This might result in skin irritations.
In terms of blade
Eventually, the blade of a safety razor will become dull and rusty. You might need to replace them once in a while. On the other hand, you can sharpen the blade of the straight razor using whetstone and strop.
In terms of familiarity
You don’t have to practice much to be an expert in shaving with a safety razor. Straight razor, however, tells a different story. You have to practice a lot to unleash mastery. Added that, you need to pay continuous attention in times of practice.
In terms of time management
One of the best things about a straight razor is that you will have a faster shaving experience. No matter what, it will perform faster than the safety razor.
Now that you have come to an end of this content, I guess you learned all about straight razors and safety razors. Remember, it is always important to choose the right shaver that fulfills your needs.
With the statements that I’ve made in this content, I believe you will be able to choose the right product for your needs. I have personally experienced all that I have said and used products that I have mentioned above. You can count on my words.
With all these necessary tips, I wish you good luck on your journey towards quality shave.