For Centuries, scissors, combs and straight razors were the preferred methods for haircut along with beard and mustache trimming. During the middle age, this culture was first seen. In the early 17th century male hairstyles grew longer and took things to the next level.
However, over time and especially over the last couple of decades Shaver, Trimmer, and Clipper replaced the ancient tools for a haircut and trim. There are many tools that you can use to cut/trim your hair. It would be nice if a single gear could fulfill all the demands of haircutting and beard trimming, but that’s unlikely. People prefer them because they are not that risky to use and works more precisely than conventional scissors and combs.
Since there are lots of products available on the market, before purchasing one you must have an idea about certain products and their features. It depends on your demands and actions about how you are going to groom yourself. Anybody who is looking to break down the shaver vs. trimmer vs. clipper differences will find this page an important resource.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is a shaver?
Shaver is a kind of device that gives a clean shave. To be clear, it is a device that gives a close shave, leaving the face neat and clean. Electric Shaver is very well-known for its usage as it’s the best alternative to a straight razor. A shaver when used cuts hair all the way down to the lowest level possible without eradicating the hair follicles. Shaver is good for hair with minimal height since these are not designed to cut off long strands of hair.
According to recent information, the electric shavers market size in U.S. projects to reach USD 7.91 billion by the end of 2025 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 4.80% during the period of forecast. The main reason behind this huge demand is due to the easy and precise usage of these devices. These devices have greater safety as well as skin-friendliness compared to the conventional razors which resulted in greater buy and usage.
How does it work?
Electric shaver works differently from a conventional razor. It has an electronic device built inside. Generally, there are two types of electric shaver: foil shaver and rotary shaver. The moving blades are attached to a thin foil and the end is left open for entrance. Hair getting through the perforated end gets cut by the moving blades. These blades oscillate at a high-speed which results in a smoother shave. This gives a clean and neat look. The rotary razor works in a different mechanism. It has a spinning head at the top which works in a very different way.
Shaver is good for many uses. I have mentioned some of them below:
- You can shave faster than conventional razors and blades.
- If you want to save money, Shaver is great for a deal.
- Shaver lasts longer than the ordinary razor.
- You get the mobility, as in carrying and shaving wherever you want to.
- Indeed they are versatile. They are adaptable and changeable with attachments.
I would also recommend some brands for you to check out their products and grab what you need. They are:
I can also suggest you with some of the great electric shavers:
- Braun Series 7-790cc
- Panasonic Arc5 ES-LV95-S
- Philips Norelco 9700
- Braun Series 9 9290cc
- Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc4
What is a trimmer?
Trimmer is an electronic device used to trim small lengths of hair. What I love about trimmer is it works as it sounds! It is a style maintaining tool boxed with several attachments. Trimmer helps to cut hair to a certain length and uniforms the hair growth. A clean shave isn’t obtained by a trimmer. Rather used to keep up a certain look of beard and mustache through regular trimming.
According to the statistics, in the year 2018 the market size of electric clipper and trimmer valued at USD 5.3 billion. The only reason behind this great success is just because they are really easy to use and work with. In terms of safety Electric trimmers have greater leverage than conventional razors.
How does it work?
The making of a trimmer includes small-sized motor and a set of short but very sharp blades. These shorter blades give finer details to the hair. The set of the blade looks like sharpened teeth. These sharp blades move to and fro with the help of a motor and trim hair instead of bringing out the follicles. This doesn’t entirely uproot the hair.
Some of the benefits of using a trimmer are:
- Trimmers are soft and advanced. They take really good care of skin, unlike the razor.
- A trimmer provides the accessibility to adjust the hair length of face and hair.
- Trimmers also serve different purposes. Example: you can trim chest hair, eyebrows, etc.
- It saves the time of grooming and provides a more accurate look to the hair.
- They are lightweight and portable. You can just put it on your traveling bag and carry wherever you want without even noticing the presence.
I would suggest some renowned companies for you to buy trimmers from. They are:
- Conair Corporation
- The Procter and Gamble Company
- Braun GmbH
Here are the names of some trimmers that I found useful:
- Wahl Model 9864
- Philips Norelco Multigroom MG7770
- Wahl Model 9818
- Philips Norelco BT5210/42
- Andis T-Outliner
What is a clipper?
A hair clipper is a device used to cut longer hair. It works in the same convention as a scissor but with greater usability and sophistication. In short, Clipper cuts longer hair into a shorter length. A Hair clipper is the most efficient tool when you need to cut larger portions of hair quickly.
Recent statistics show that, in the year 2019, the revenue of the hair clipper industry is around USD 654 million. A growth of 0.6% is expected annually in the market of electric clippers (CAGR 2019-2023). When it comes to global comparison, the highest revenue was in china (USD 2,547 million) in the year 2019. That’s like USD 1.99 for per person revenues if related to the population.
How does it work?
Hair Clipper has a pair of blades that look like a comb. These blades take place over one another. A motor that is present inside the clipper helps the comb-like blade to oscillate sideways. Whenever hair enters inside the teeth of these combs, they work in the same convention of a scissor. Through frequent lubrication, you can keep the blades sharp and friction-free.
I would be glad to recommend a clipper for the perspectives mentioned below:
- If you wish to cut off long strands of hair clipper would be the exact device you are looking for.
- Clipper also comes with attachments for you to adjust the measurement and go with the execution.
- A clipper will never cut your hair to a really short length.
- It comes with guard combs of various sizes for you to style hair uniquely.
- Clipper is the best alternate of a scissor which is even safer to use.
Some of the companies I found are good at this business. They are:
I would like to suggest you with some clippers that I found well for you to use at home:
- Wahl Professional 5-Star Cord/Cordless Magic Clip #8148
- Wahl Clipper – Model 79602
- Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro
- Wahl Professional Peanut #8685
- OSTER Classic 76 Universal
Shaver vs. Trimmer
Both Shaver and trimmer have the same working principles and functionalities. They might have the same battery-powered mechanism, but they have some differences as well. They fulfill particular purposes, and needs. It’s the way they are assembled with blades to perform actions that aren’t alike.
In my opinion, their differences are:
- A trimmer trims hair to a particular length where it’s barely visible, where a shaver cleans out the visibility and provides a smoother look.
- Trimmer comes with certain attachments based on lengths or sizes of hair, but there are no attachments for a shaver.
- A shaver can exfoliate dead skin cells, where a trimmer isn’t built with that ability and can’t do this action.
- A trimmer shapes the hair, where a shaver just removes it.
- With a trimmer, you can trim down to various lengths of hair, but if you look towards cleaning out your hair shaver would be what you are looking for.
Trimmer vs. Clipper
I think trimmer and clipper have many similarities based on workability. There are some differences as well by their purpose of use. As mentioned above they are similar in the way they work, but their assembly of different parts and equipment isn’t the same. It includes how the blades rotate and oscillate.
I have used these products for a while and I found some dissimilarities. I have given some differences for you to decide which would be preferable for you to have. They are given below:
- Clippers deal with the hair of longer strands. It also comes with various attachments to cut the hair of the desired length. A trimmer, however, deals with shorter or finer hair.
- Trimmer may or may not come with attachments but you’ll surely find attachments with clippers.
- Clipper cuts hair which is primarily thick or long. On the contrary, trimmers can work on shorter hair with finer details.
- Both trimmer and clipper are different in guidelines, size, and length of the blade.
Shaver vs. Clipper
Shaver and Clipper are both electronic devices with the same working principles. They can work by directly connecting them to the power outlet. Besides, they can also be accessed with the batteries built inside. The same manufacturer can assemble both shaver and clipper but the equipment given inside works for different purposes. This creates the dissimilarities from one another and serves people according to their needs and assurance.
The key differences are as follows:
- Shaver cleans hair from the skin surface giving a smoother look; however, a clipper cuts the hair of longer lengths.
- Clipper comes with attachments required to cut hair to the desired length, a shaver has no attachments.
- You can exfoliate your skin with a shaver, but a clipper can’t provide the same service.
- You can style your hair with guard combs given inside the box of a clipper. A shaver doesn’t come with these features and equipment.
There are a lot of grooming products available on the market. As there are many similarities between the products, people often get confused about what to buy. This information serves for a purpose. I have provided the differences between shaver vs. trimmer vs. clipper for you to narrow down the aisle and offer necessary information so that you can make up your mind on which product to grab.
As I have mentioned earlier, it depends on the length of your hair, the way you wish to groom it and the smoothness that you are looking for. All three of them are good for each purpose and no one can complain about their usage.
Lastly, I would like to share my opinion on this perspective.
- If I had to make a clean shave I would go for the shaver.
- If I was looking to keep up a certain length of hair I would choose the trimmer.
- If I had long hair that I would cut to a very shorter length, I might have gone with the clipper as that’s the best alternative of a scissor.
You can buy any of them for your purpose and I promise that you are not going to regret your purchase. Last but not least I want to say that you can’t compare in between the products as they are all good in their respective fields and purposes.